The Absurd Reason Why America Circumcises Baby Boys
There’s not much harm in circumcision, but there’s also not really any benefit. The key is to not let faulty reasoning and a bunch of 19th century prudes be the motivating factor.
FACT CHECK TIME. Here’s what our fact checkers found:
- America didn’t adopt the practice of circumcision until the sex-phobic days of the 19th century, when puritanical doctors promoted it as a way to stop kids from masturbating. Psychology Today (Sept. 2011)
- Cleanliness is no longer an issue thanks to modern hygienic standards. Psychology Today (Sept. 2011)
- Circumcision has been found to marginally reduce the risk of HIV transmission, but condoms are still much more effective, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- The foreskin is a natural lubricant, contains millions of nerve endings, and prevents desensitization. Psychology Today (Sept. 2011)
- There’s no benefit to it. The Mayo Clinic lists some possible advantages but still says only that circumcision “might” be beneficial.