10 Reasons We Need “The Wiz” Broadway Revival Right Now
The Wiz hasn’t been revived in 30 years. Is now the time? YES!
I love The Wiz
like, a lot…
I said A LOT
Honestly, we need a Broadway revival ASAP
and here’s why…
1. It hasn’t been on Broadway for 30 years
THAT’S QUITE A BIT OF TIME. 30 years… that’s like a grown ass adult
2. It’s time to journey back to Oz
Yes Wicked is on Broadway, but it’s been 11 years now. Let’s see Oz differently.
3. We already know who would be cast as Dorothy
She won an Oscar. She won our hearts. She performed on the Tonys. THIS WAS ESSENTIALLY HER AUDITION and America approves.
BRING IT HOME, HUDSON!
4. We already know who would direct it
The Queen of Tony-Award Winning Revivals, Dame Diane Paulus.
5. The R&B Pop Score is still fucking GOOD
6. New Orchestrations/Choreography for “Ease on Down the Road”
7. We need to get that bad taste out of our mouths
Diana Ross sobbing for 60+ minutes wearing a sheer blue dress is not how I want my children to know The Wiz’s Dorothy Gale.
8. People need to know The Wiz Musical > The Wiz Movie
THE MOVIE IS NOT THE MUSICAL. THEY DON’T TRAVEL TO 1970’S NYC AND GET HIGH IN A PINK BROTHEL HOUSE.
9. We can cast Phylicia Rashad as Glinda the Good
She was in the OBC as a Munchkin. It can be the ultimate #LOLZ casting.
10. It’s a message we need to hear now
The Wizard of Oz’s main message was “There’s no place like home.”
The Wiz’s main message is a little different…
“Believe in yourself right from the start.Believe in the magic that’s inside your heart.Beileve what you see and not what life told you toBut believe in yourself.”